Apprentissage Hybride Mutualisé et Ouvert dans les Universités Marocaines (MarMOOC)
Project number: 573583-EPP-1-2016-1-ES-EPPKA2-CBHE-SP
Grant Agreement: 2016-2558/001-001
European call: ERASMUS+ Capacity Building in Higher Education, EAC/A04/2015
Duration: from 15 October 2016 to 14 October 2019
Total budget: 999.043,00 €
- University of Vigo (Spain)
- Universidad de León (Spain)
- University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy (Bulgaria)
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium)
- Sorbonne Université (France)
- Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) (Sweden)
- Université Abdelmalek Essaadi (Morocco)
- Université Ibn Zohr (Morocco)
- Université Privée de Marrakech (Morocco)
- Université Ibn Tofail (Morocco)
- Université Moulay Ismail (Morocco)
- Université Internationale de Rabat (Morocco)
- Ministère de l’Enseignement Supérieur, de la Recherche Scientifique et de la Formation des Cadres (Morocco)
María Isabel Doval Ruíz
Vice-rector of Social Responsability, Equality and Cooperation
Ángel Manuel Sánchez
Domingo Docampo Amoedo
Óscar Rubiños López
Fernando Cerdeira Pérez
Eva Garea Oya
Project technical coordinator
Jose Luis Salgueiro Fernández
The MarMOOC (Mutualized and Open Hybrid Learning in Moroccan Universities) project is part of the “Capacity Building” project in the field of Higher Education (CBHE), funded by the Erasmus+ Programme. The project, involving Moroccan and European stakeholders, has as its main objective the creation of the first Moroccan MOOC free e-learning platform, which is expected to be launched in 2019.
MarMOOC project brings together 13 Moroccan and European partners in a consortium. The six Moroccan institutions taking part are Abdelmalek Essaadi University (Tétouan), Ibn Tofail University (Kenitra), Moulay Ismail University (Meknes), Ibn Zohr University (Agadir), Rabat International University and the Private University of Marrakech. Morocco’s Ministry of Higher Education also involved in the educational project. The project is supported by the “Online Digital Campus of the University of Vigo”, which is part of the “Campus of the Sea”: Knowledge in Depth” (Campus of International Excellence). The project has the participation of the following European universities. These universities are the Universidade de Vigo (Spain), the Universidad de León (Spain), the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium), the Sorbonne Université (France), the Royal Institute of Technology of Stockholm (Sweden) and the University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy (Bulgaria).
The MarMOOC Project has been articulated around a shared and unifying platform of open and massive online courses (MOOC), which is at the centre of pedagogical innovation, knowledge exchange and dissemination with the aim of benefiting all Moroccan educational institutions.
MarMOOC is a very innovate project that will also five great visibility to Moroccan universities with the creation of the first MOOC and SPOC platform in Morocco with the offer of 12 MOOC courses (with certificates of achievement and ECTS credits) and 6 SPOC of academic excellence in 6 priority areas for Morocco: business and business administration, law, physical and life sciences, engineering, agriculture and fishing, health, etc.
The MarMOOC project is of crucial importance for Moroccan universities, as it represents an effective alternative for addressing, on the one hand, the increasing number of students and the dispersal of university sites.
In this way, the project is developed around three main axes:
- Support Moroccan partner universities in the design and production of innovative educational content, taking into account their academic fields of excellence:
- UAE: law, engineering, fishing
- UIT: business and corporate administration
- UMI: law, science and technology, mechanical engineering
- UIZ: life sciences, geography, economics and phonetics
- UIR: mathematics, physics, computer science, architecture
- UPM: management, engineering
- Provide Moroccan partner universities with a shared platform of online courses (SPOC and MOOC courses), providing them with an innovative, open and accessible environment, which will also contribute to increasing cooperation between Moroccan universities and their visibility internationally.
- The approach followed for the implementation of this project in the field is carried out through the implementation of a series of measures, the most important of which are the following:
- To establish a framework of approach and mutualisation between Moroccan universities to promote a new synergy in the field of distance education
- Sensitize teachers to adhere to the project of hybridization of training and the benefits that this project will bring
- To help teachers to facilitate the effective use and integration of information and communication technologies (ICT) in the learning process
- To provide quality content to students who are at the centre of the learning process
- Increase the accessibility of students to undergraduate studies
- Improve students’ living conditions
The implementation of a federative and shared platform has as its essential objective to provide the necessary support to teachers to produce, share and publish innovative educational content online using new technologies, MOOC and SPOC. To this end, the teaching and technical staff of the partner universities participate in refresher courses organised by the European partners.
The aim of these MOOC and SPOC courses is to make quality content available to students, especially to the most disadvantaged. The aim is to improve student access to the platform, promoting learning and improving student participation and success rates through personalised and recognised training programmes, allowing students from all disciplines to access innovative and interactive educational content.
In this way, this project contributes to the resolution of multiple problems associated with the massification of demand, the diversity of training supply and the accessibility of higher education in Morocco.
Project Activities and Methodology
The consecution of the previously mentioned project objectives now requires, as a first step, a careful analysis of the current situation of the integration of ICT in higher education at the level of Moroccan universities (WP1).
The European universities of the consortium were then asked to organise an information campaign on MOOCs (WP2). They also provided training and further education for teachers and technical staff (WP3), who will be responsible for the design and production of content (SPOC/MOCC) as well as the establishment of the technical base (WP4).
Quality control and project monitoring are guaranteed throughout the life of the project, including the production of reports (WP7). Dissemination and sustainability activities of the project are also carried out (WP8).
Project management is divided into 24 activities grouped into 9 work packages according to the following organization:
- The elaboration of a survey on the state of the equipment
- The elaboration of a report presenting a detailed analysis of the results of the survey
- The organisation of an international working seminar in Kenitra, Morocco (Université IBN Tofail) where the survey report was presented
- An international MOOC awareness seminar
- A communication campaign that visited all the Moroccan universities of the consortium, called the MOOC caravan
- Identification of the technical team of the project
- Training of the academic team of teachers
- Training of the technical team
- Preparation of the platform architecture dossier
- Acquisition and installation of equipment
- Implementation of the authentication service and identity federation
- Installation and personalization of the platform
- Selection of innovative courses
- SPOC course design and scripting workshops
- Implementation and launch of SPOC courses on the platform: effective implementation of SPOC courses designed, programmed and developed during activity 5.2
- Selection, adaptation and implementation of MOOC courses
- Data analysis and experience evaluation workshops
- Development of the assistance framework
MarMOOC. Consortium and Quality Meeting in Sofia
Consortium and Quality Meeting in Sofia University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, Sofia – Bulgaria, from 25th to 26th October 2018
MarMOOC. Extraordinary Consortium Meeting
Extraordinary Consortium Meeting Ministére de l’Education Nationale, de la Formation professionnelle, de l’Enseignement Supérieur et de la Recherche Scientifique, Rabat – Morocco, 24th May 2018
MarMOOC. Workshop in Vigo. Implementation of the authentication service and the identity federation
Workshop in Vigo. Implementation of the authentication service and the identity federation Universidade de Vigo – Spain, from 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th April 2018 GAL3
MarMOOC. Consortium meeting in Paris
Consortium meeting in Paris Sorbonne Université, Paris – France, from 8th and 9th February 2018 GAL4
Elaboration of the platform architecture dossier
Elaboration of the platform architecture dossier Universidade de Vigo – Spain, from 8th, 9th and 10th November 2017 GAL5
MarMOOC. Workshops for the design and scripting of SPOC
Workshops for the design and scripting of SPOC Université Privée de Marrakech – Morocco, from 25th, 26th and 27th October 2017 GAL6
MarMOOC. Consortium and quality meeting in Brussels
Consortium and quality meeting in Brussels Vrije Universiteit Brussel – Belgium, from 04th, 05th and 06th October 2017
MarMOOC. Formation of the team of technicians
Formation of the team of technicians Universidade de Vigo, Vigo – Spain, from 9th, 10th and 11th May 2017
Formation the team of teachers
Formation the team of teachers Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris – France, from 3rd , 4th and 5th Mai 2017
MarMOOC. MOOCS caravan
MOOCS caravan From 21th and 26th April 2017 Université Ibn Tofail, Kenitra Université Internationale de Rabat, Rabat Université Moulay Ismail, Meknès Université Ibn Zohr, Agadir … Continuar
MarMOOC. International Seminar
International Seminar Université IBN Tofail, Kenitra – Maroc, from 20th and 21th April 2017
MarMOOC. Kick off meeting
Kick off meeting Universidade de Vigo, from 12th to 13th January 2017